Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Fighting Words

The brouhaha among Times readers over the thorny war deportation issue continues unabated. This time round, Tonio Borg offers his perspective on what he defines a "a blot in British colonial history." One wonders if, in his capacity as Deputy Prime Minister, Borg will be seeking some form of reparation for this bold attack on the dignity of the Maltese people. Frankly, it seems a little odd that somebody in his position would be prepared to intervene in such a debate, but then the line social commentary and executive in Malta has long been blurred.
With customary clumsiness, the publication of this letter coincides with the latest salvo from Borg's putative antagonist, Victor J. de Bono. Indeed, Borg will hardly be placated by the suggestion that:

"This enemy [during the Second World War] were the very fascists some members of the Nationalist Party emulated."

The implication is a loaded one and is likely to throw oil on the fire, which is a worrying prospect in view of Maltese letter-writing unwillingness to give their opponents the last say. Of course, this desire to be proved right would be nothing if not accompanied by an attempt to adopt the moral high ground.

Finally, I am one of those who wish to see the end of this banal argument about a shabby part of our history. It is not because I support something I am ashamed of. On the contrary, it is because I am ashamed of some people, who, as far as I am concerned, are an embarrassment to Malta and the Maltese.

But now that even the second most powerful man in Malta (sic!) has decided to enter the fray what chance is there that this "banal argument" will end any time soon?

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

I reproduce the letter below in full to illustrate how editorial lassitude makes utter mockery of any pretence The Times may have to seriousness, if any. I have seen these unashamed adverts before in these pages, but this one is a truly fine specimen.

Licence to dive

Richard Ellul, Zurrieq.

Having just completed both my Open Water and Advanced diving courses, I would like to thank Diveshack Malta for giving me the opportunity to explore the fascinating world under the sea.

I never imagined that the waters around the Maltese islands would be so rich in all kinds of marine life. Course director Rita and instructors Sergio, Michelle and Shawn have always been willing to share with me their invaluable experience and knowledge, and for this I am grateful.

No comments: